[DB-SIG] Informixdb & Python 2.1.1

paul@boddie.net paul@boddie.net
3 Oct 2001 08:34:30 -0000

Chuck Jackson <cjackson@wacoisd.org> wrote:

>I have the following setup:
>
>1)  SuSE 7.2
>
>2)  Python 2.1.1 (#1, Sep 26 2001, 15:05:29)
>[GCC 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)] on linux2
>
>3)  Informixdb 1.3
>4)  Informix CLI -- recently nabbed from website, no idea what version #

I'm out of my depth here, having never used SuSE or Informix, although it
shouldn't make a huge difference in this case, I think.

>I've mucked with "configure", the resultant Make files etc.  I still
>can't get it to build.  The main complaint that I get is:
>
>make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/informixdb-1.3/ext'
>make[1]: *** No rule to make target `_informixdb.c', needed by
>`_informixdb.o'.  Stop.
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/informixdb-1.3/ext'
>make: *** [sharedmods] Error 2

First of all, is there a _informixdb.c file? What happens if you type 'make
_informixdb.o'? (I would expect the same error again.) Sometimes, it seems to
me, one can get this kind of error when the rules in the Makefile aren't quite
right. Are you using GNU make? (This can make a difference, but I would think
that on SuSE, GNU make is all you have.)

It's too hard to diagnose your problem without any experience of the module in
question and without the Makefile to hand. One other thing I can think of,
however, is that the module is based on a SWIG (or other comparable interfacing
system) wrapping and that the pre-built wrappers aren't supplied. If SWIG is in
use, there should be some .i files in the distribution.

Paul

--
Get your firstname@lastname email for FREE at http://Nameplanet.com/?su