[Catalog-sig] RE: [DB-SIG] Current status of Gadfly

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:28:42 +0200

Tim Keating wrote:
> > I think what we really need is a python news center (dare I say,
> > something like Slashdot?) where Python USERS can find out about
> > stuff like this.

Guido van Rossum replied:
>It's called comp.lang.python, and is archived at
>http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-list/

Maybe the link (below) that Kapil Thangavelu mentioned should
be put at http://www.python.org/News.html for instance. Sometimes
deatils like that makes a big difference.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.lang.python

The search interface certainly makes the news group more useful.
News and mailing lists really only well work if you spend time with
them each day.

The other links on that page are really good resources, and
I usually follow them each Thursday (yes, that's today :) from
lwn.net which sadly is treatened by ended funding. And if it's
impossible to run a really great Linux news center, then maybe
a good Python news center is unlikely.

I don't think it's the first time this kind of a suggestion
pops up, and if several people think something is lacking,
then SOMETHING IS lacking, at least for them.

With a great language like python, most things are trivial once
you know what to do, and with core languages constructs, it's not
difficult to find out what to do. But with everything beyond that,
database and other interfaces, GUIs, XML etc, there is much more
of a Perl-like there's-more-than-one-way-to-do-it choice, and the
novice might not even find one of the ways...

It would be wonderful indeed if the information available about
all the modules that makes Python so useful would be as excellent
as Python itself.

That's certainly a thing I'll put on my wishing list for Santa. :)

/Magnus

P.S. For the first time as a consultant I actually got my first
client who specifically hired me for my Python skills a few days
ago, so maybe Python is really becoming viable as a career merit.
(Unfortunately, it's a fairly tiny assignment--but it is fun!)

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN