[DB-SIG] Optional DB API Extensions

Dittmar, Daniel daniel.dittmar@sap.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:46:00 +0200

> "Dittmar, Daniel" wrote:
> >
> > Would it be useful to have a common connection option 'strict'?
> >
> > Setting this option would generate warnings for optional
> features, even if
> > the driver supports them. Thus hopefully hinting at
> portability problems.

> From: M.-A. Lemburg [mailto:mal@lemburg.com]
> The reasoning here is that I believe it should be possible
> to request e.g. that all Warnings be raised as excpetions
> or to have them only be stored in the .messages lists
> or to completely silence them.

How does this differ from the warning framework in Python 2.1?

I think the important part is that the warning text (or part of the warning
text) is defined in the PEP for each optional feature, thus allowing to
compare the warnings for Driver A with the features of driver B.

Daniel

--
Daniel Dittmar
daniel.dittmar@sap.com