[DB-SIG] SQLserver and mySQL examples for a newbie (fwd)

Nigel Campbell nigel-c@clear.net.nz
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 10:08:37 +1300 (NZDT)

> Can somebody give me some small examples on how to connect to a
> MS SQLServer / mySQL database and run a Query on it.

mySQL has been dealt with at length elsewhere on the mailing list,
but here is a brief rundown on SQL Server on Windows.

There is a DB-API package for ODBC.  If you get the ActiveState
distribution (www.activestate.com), it comes with that.  From
memory, it also lives on Vaults of Parnassus.  This will work
with SQL server via ODBC.  You make up a normal ODBC connect
string and this will connect to the database.  Alternatively,
there are resources on how to connect using ADO on the web that
you can find off google.  I haven't done this, but the sites did
have examples.

I do have a little hello world level snippet on my machine at work
somewhere that I did when experimenting with this.  If there's
any interest, I'll dig it out and post it to this list.

Nigel