[DB-SIG] Thanks plus more newbie blues and the power/headache of source

dhalgren@bigfoot.com dhalgren@bigfoot.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:35:03 -0500

> Take a look at pyPgSQL at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/pypgsql.
>  It is being actively maintained, and works with Python 2.0, 2.1 and
> 2.2a3.  A new release will be available soon.  (it's currently at
> version 1.5.1).

Thanks everyone for the informative/quick responses.  Much
appreciated !!

As far as the "with python" option for PostgreSQL that a few folks
mentioned, I'd give it a shot, but I'm also somewhat new to linux, and
while I'd be willing ot install a package from source, about 1 out of 5
or so times I've tried I get GCC crashing partway through with
dependency or other errors.

That plus I am not comfy enough with the filesystem layout, etc, to
know what goes where, etc.  So I've been using RPMs.  They are a
poor substitute for any windows installer I've ever seen, but they
generally get the job done and will generally manage install/uninstall
and upgrades cleanly.

So, for a follow-up question, if I can impose on the patience of the
group yet again, is there a way to use the 'with python' instruction
with a standard installer on Linux, or can it only be done when
building the package?  Is this something one would use 'source'
RPMs for?

--Aaron