[DB-SIG] newbie has question about Python 2.1 --> PostgreSQL 7.1.3 : Can it be done??

Paolo Comitini pcm@mixadlive.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 21:46:32 +0200

On Sunday 23 September 2001 00:23, dhalgren@bigfoot.com wrote:

> I've got a problem involving PostgreSQL and Python 2.1 .
>

> First off, I freely admit to being new to Python, and only having given
> this a few days of effort before deciding to post a query to the list.
>

> Now, I recently downloaded and began using Python.  It's been a great
> adventure, and I'm extremely happy to have decided to pick up the language.
>  But.  I'm very interested in database-based applications, and my db of
> choice is PostgreSQL.
>

> I just can't seem to find a PostgreSQL support module that is being
> actively maintained.  So far I've found  --
>

> (off the http://www.python.org/topics/database/modules.html page)
>

> PygreSQL  -- went to the download web site, and it only seems to have been
> maintained up to version 7.02 of PostgreSQL  and Python 1.5 .  They talk
> about adding support for Python 2.0 in "the next release"....
>

> PoPy -- they claim  "RP<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param>M package
> is also available on our NEW project's web site<bigger>" <smaller>but then
> don't bother mentioning  where that site is.  I tried the website for the
> company that has apparently hired the development team, Nekhem.com, but the
> site is "being redesigned" and clearly doesn't have any packages for
> download. The PoPY project site also says they have CVS access available,
> but I've never used CVS, and I suppose I can give that a try sometime, but
> for various reasons I'd rather just manage all my packages with the same
> tools (RPM) as well as I'm not sure this group is still even maintaining
> thier package or website.

Popy was the driver of Mixad Live s.r.l. but one day we decided to develop
Psycopg from scracth!
And now we have a real outperforming drive:
http://www.initd.org/Software/psycopg

> Psycopg -- The website simply doesn't come up -it's another dead link.

Sorry now the site is up,
try again now:
http://www.initd.org

or in case of failure you can find always a copy of the tarball on
http://www.zope.org/Members/fog/psycopg

but if you are on windows ...
we don't have windows.

Paolo