[DB-SIG] newbie has question about Python 2.1 --> PostgreSQL 7.1.3 : Can it be done??

paul@boddie.net paul@boddie.net
24 Sep 2001 10:28:52 -0000

dhalgren@bigfoot.com wrote:

>So my question, simply enough is, is there a module available, anywhere, theat
>is being currently maintained and which I can use without having to go through
>ODBC?  I tried, in desperation, installing the mx extensions package, but that
>required other packages (iODBC) which I haven't been able to track down yet.
>In any case, that was a second-best option.  I'm really leaning towards direct
>connection without ODBC.

Well, iODBC can be found at http://www.iodbc.org, but I would recommend against
ODBC if you want to get started quickly and can find a suitable native adapter.
Given the number of announcements about PostgreSQL modules that I've seen
recently, you should be able to find at least one that does what you want.

Have you tried looking in the comp.lang.python and comp.lang.python.announce
archives on Google Groups (http://groups.google.com)? The Python DB-SIG pages,
along with other pages on the main Python site, tend to be infrequently
updated. There is also the Vaults of Parnassus - see the Python site for a link
to that resource.

>Any suggestions for this newbie?  Is there ever going to be  db support in the
>standard Python distributions?

I believe the main reason for not providing SQL-oriented database system
support in the standard library is the potential for increasing the size of the
download package significantly.

Paul

--
Get your firstname@lastname email for FREE at http://Nameplanet.com/?su