[DB-SIG] newbie has question about Python 2.1 --> PostgreSQL 7.1.3 : Can it be done??

dhalgren@bigfoot.com dhalgren@bigfoot.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:39:06 -0500

> Well, iODBC can be found at http://www.iodbc.org,

Yeah, I found it later, but held off on using it.  Like you mention
below, there'd been enough native suggestions that I fortunately
didn't have to go the ODBC route.

> but I would
> recommend against ODBC if you want to get started quickly and can find
> a suitable native adapter. Given the number of announcements about
> PostgreSQL modules that I've seen recently, you should be able to find
> at least one that does what you want.
>
> Have you tried looking in the comp.lang.python and
> comp.lang.python.announce archives on Google Groups
> (http://groups.google.com)? The Python DB-SIG pages, along with other
> pages on the main Python site, tend to be infrequently updated. T

Well, if that's the way it is, I'll adapt, but my experience to date with
*any* software, is you go to the official site, see what they have,
etc.  For Python, that meant going to the python.org, looking up thier
database module section, and seeing what's available.

I looked, they had the pages, they had modules listed, and I
considered that to be the 'official word'.  Searching the entire
internet, via google, is ...well...hardly elegant, and seems scarcely
reasonable.  I can understand that volunteer projects tend to be a
little disorganized, but being unable/unwilling to maintain one's own
website....that's hardly a difficult or even time-consuming task if
organized among the various projects properly...I think I just lost a
little respect for the folks involved in that. <sigh>

> >Any suggestions for this newbie?  Is there ever going to be  db
> >support in the standard Python distributions?
>
> I believe the main reason for not providing SQL-oriented database
> system support in the standard library is the potential for increasing
> the size of the download package significantly.

Hm.  The packages I downloaded didn't seem too hefty.  And they
could be bundled into an optional "python-db-modules.tar.gz" file,
kept with the main download files, but kept separate for those who
would prefer to just download the main install.

I think that'd be a good solution.  Of course, I'm new to all of this, so
take anything that comes off my keyboard with a cup of salt. '

--Aaron

ps - thanks again to everyone for helping - i've got my PostgreSQL
connection up and running now, very nice, just what i was expecting
from Python...I *love* this language!!