[DB-SIG] Integer Problems working with Python/mxODBC and MS SQL Server 7

ojaeger@psipenta.com ojaeger@psipenta.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:53:46 +0200

Hello,

currently I'm trying to access MSSQL 7 on WinNT from Python 2.1 on an Linux 2.4
(Debian) machine (python 2.1.2/mxODBC 2.0.4/ unixODBC/ FreeTDS 0.53 Driver).
Everything works fine, exept that any query of integer values presents strange
results. I use the FreeTDS ODBC driver with protocol version 7.0.

Here's what happens:

>>> import mx.ODBC.unixODBC
>>> db = mx.ODBC.unixODBC.DriverConnect("DSN=tralala;UID=hopsasa;PWD=anything")
>>> c = db.cursor()
>>> c.execute("SELECT id FROM test")
>>> res = c.fetchall()
>>> res
   (8,0232304319377730,)

The value I expected to receive is 56819 and the datafield in SQL-Server 7 is
defined as integer.

I tried with TDS protocol version 7.0 and 4.2, but there ware no different
results. Every other fieldtype, even text  or varchar works correctly.

There is no problem when I do the same query with the unixODBC command line
query tool 'isql'. All integers are shown correctly. So I think, that the pure
ODBC Connection is ok an there must be something between python and mxODBC.

BTW, when I query a MySQL database via mxODBC (also via unixODBC)  there were no
problems with any data type.

Any ideas, what can I do?

Thanks Olaf