[DB-SIG] Duuuh? - cx_Oracle.DatabaseError: ORA-12560: TNS:pro tocol adapter error

Doug.Shawhan@gecits.ge.com Doug.Shawhan@gecits.ge.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:11:13 -0500

Ahhh... That did it! I was working from the DBAPI web page rather than from
the README from the Windows binary install. (smack)

I did not realize that it would grab the severname from my locally installed
Oracle client! :-) (That is what is happening, right?)

>>> import cx_Oracle
>>> conn = cx_Oracle.connect('myname','mypass','dbname')
or
>>> conn = cx_Oracle.connect('myname/mypass@dbname')

both gave me a happy exit code 0! :-)

Thanks very much Anthony!

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Tuininga [mailto:anthony@computronix.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 2:28 PM
To: Shawhan, Doug (CAP, ITS, US)
Subject: Re: [DB-SIG] Duuuh? - cx_Oracle.DatabaseError: ORA-12560:
TNS:protocol adapter error

The parameters for the connect method are as follows (see the README.txt
included in the release as well for more information)

conn = cx_Oracle.connect("user/pw@tnsentry")

OR

conn = cx_Oracle.connect("user", "pw", "tnsentry")

If that still doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll see what I can do
to assist.

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 13:04, Doug.Shawhan@gecits.ge.com wrote:
> Howdy folks,
>
> I am experimenting with cx_Oracle with Python 2.2.1 under NT5 attatching
> Oracle 8.0.
>
> I am trying the following silly script to establish a connection:

> import cx_Oracle
> DSN='''host=oraclehost.hostie.com,
> 		user=doofus,
> 		password=g00b3r
> 		database=SCHMEH''
> conn = cx_Oracle.connect(DSN)
>
> Which gives me:

> cx_Oracle.DatabaseError: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

> I am reasonably sure that all parameters in my DSN string are correct. Can
> anyone throw me a clue as to what a protocol adaper error is?
>
> Thanks!

Anthony Tuininga
anthony@computronix.com

Computronix