Open Source RDBMs Re: [DB-SIG] Re: [XML-SIG] Looking for python compliant NXDs

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:01:29 +0100

At 05:13 2002-02-01 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   Then use Postgresql or MySQL
>       http://www.postgresql.org/
>       http://www.mysql.com/
>
>   Both use SQL and can be used from Python, you should feel at home.

There are a few more now. For instance:

The Interbase derivate Firebird, http://firebird.sourceforge.net/ which
is supported by the kinterbasDB http://kinterbasdb.sourceforge.net/ Python DBU.

Then there is the Adabas D derivate SAP DB http://www.sapdb.org/ which has a
Python driver as well. (This is from R/3 maker SAP AG.)

Both these are open source versions of commercial products that
have been around for many years.

I think all four are viable alternatives, but of course it depends
on your needs. MySQL has only have support for transactions for a
rather short time, so I don't know how reliable and fast that is.
Does it still not have proper subqueries? Anyway, it seems all
four are active and well supported projects. I would imagine
postgresql and mysql are much more spread in the open source community,
and there are third party books about them etc.

On the other hand, SAP DB has plenty of docs, and other advantages
such as a number of paid SAP AG developers working with it and
Python APIs not only for the database server but also for the DBA
tools.

I'm not sure about Firebird, buth there seems to be a lot of
resources (e.g. http://www.ibphoenix.com/ ) and an active community
developing the software.

--
Magnus Lyckå, Thinkware AB