[DB-SIG] Re: Sybase module 0.33pre4 released

Dave Cole djc@object-craft.com.au
15 Feb 2002 21:23:39 +1100

What is it:
The Sybase module provides a Python interface to the Sybase relational
database system.  It supports all of the Python Database API, version
2.0 with extensions.

Note:

Since the 0.32 release I have come to the realisation that the Sybase
dynamic SQL functionality is not nearly general enough to use for
correct DB-API functionality.  I have thrown up my hands and gone back
to the drawing board with the high level Sybase.py module.

Status of 0.33pre2, 0.33pre3:

The 0.33pre2 release seems to be quite solid.  I have not received any
complaints from any of the 10 (count them) people who downloaded the
module.  Ben Gertzfield managed to implement a multi-threaded whois
server on top of the 0.32pre2 release.

The only problems reported for 0.33pre3 were the Solaris build needed
tweaking and the tar file unpacks to an unversioned directory.

Changes for 0.33pre4:

1) In implementing some sample code to assist a user I discovered a
   threading locking problem with the Cursor.__del__() method.
   Management of the Cursor related Connection locks has been
   reimplemented.

2) Solaris build has been fixed again - thanks to Kent Polk.

3) The tar file now unpacks to a directory called sybase-<release>.

The changes for this release are so slight that I am inclined to mark
release this as the next stable release in a week or so.

Extra Extra Pleading:

Please download the pre-release version, try it out, and then send me
some mail telling me what you found.  You would be surprised at how
little mail I get regarding the Sybase module, I really do need your
help.  If more than 7 to 10 people tried the module we would all
benefit...

The module is available here:

    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/sybase-0.33pre4.tar.gz

The module home page is here: