[DB-SIG] Suggestions for DB-API improvements

Dave Cole djc@object-craft.com.au
08 Jul 2002 01:05:41 +1000

Kevin> On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
>> Kevin Jacobs wrote: > The question is how to get driver authors to
>> support all these new > requirements.  Maybe we need multiple
>> levels of compliance within the > DB-API?  What exists now could be
>> "entry-level" compliance, so that we can > define
>> "intermediate-level" to include some of the easier features, and
>> have
>>
>> Maybe it's time to make a DB-API *library*, so authors of support
>> for specific database adapters don't need to do all this work from
>> scratch.

Kevin> I would like to see this happen, but I am not sure how
Kevin> realistic it is.  For example, how would we integrate support
Kevin> for products like mxODBC, which is commercially licensed?

Kevin> Some advantages of a library are:

Kevin>   1) Unified exception hierarchy 2) Ability to build
Kevin> higher-level abstractions, like business-objects (think ADO),
Kevin> driver-agnostic connection pooling, managed connection
Kevin> configuration, etc.  3) More shared implementation 4) More
Kevin> active maintenance (more eyes == better code)

If someone was willing to start building a higher level interface
which could hide the details of the specific database underneath then
I would be happy to try integrating my database stuff.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au