[DB-SIG] Which db mapping tool?

David david@sundayta.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 01:06:25 +0100

Gerhard,

Thanks for the comments.

> Feel free to ask on the PySQLite mailing lists if you need additional
> features to support an OR wrapper. We'll happily add it. There will of
> course be some difficulties to get type support in (you'll need to use
> pysqlite_client_pragma, as SQLite is typeless).

Thanks

>>1. Are there other OR layers worth looking at
>

> Maybe dbObj http://www.valdyas.org/python/dbobj.html

This seems to be only interested in mysql in the latest version.

> Of all the ones I checked out for Java and Python, I found none of them
> satisfactory. Ok, I haven't really used them in practise, only in demo
> projects, but they just didn't work for me.

Over the last 4 years I have used several (including inhouse) in
projects in Java.

> I think they all assume that
> you can change the DB schema as you like, which very often isn't the
> case for me.

Ditto for me, some will work with existing schema if it meets faily
standard guidelines (a unique numeric primary key is a common
requirement for many OR tools).

> And if they just persist Python objects in a relational
> database, then I have to ask why not to use an OODBMS like ZODB in the
> first place.

I don't just do that, we perform complex queries with multiple optional
joins and wheres. In the end some of those will need to be hand coded
sql, but it would be nice to get back standard objects. I would like to
use a single OR tool but the projects vary in scale a lot from web apps
with many millions of rows and 100+ tables to small stuff on a zaurus.

Dave