[DB-SIG] Beginner in troubles.

Arthur Albano arthuralbano@hotmail.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:17:57 +0900

  Ignacio,
  MySQL is a database software. SQL(*2) is the acronym for 'Structured Query
Language'. Therefore, SQL is a programming language. You can find various
references to SQL history and usage(*2).
  Python(*3) is a programming language.
  An API (Application Program[ming] Interface) works like a 'glue' or a
messenger (daemon): sends information from one side to another. In our case,
sends information from Python to the SQL server, and may return a result
back to Python. Like this:
  Python -> SQL Server -> Python
  The API is the arrows.
  I kindly ask to CC: your messages to [DB-SIG], so everybody can read and
discuss.

  You're welcome,

Arthur.
"The sky is blue even for the blind when they want to see the light." Me

*1 MySQL Website
http://www.mysql.com/

*2 Yahoo - SQL
http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Programming_and_Development/Languages/SQL/

*3 Python Website
http://www.python.org/

Ignacio wrote:
Arthur,

  Thank you very much for the tip. I'll start working on it right now.

  I have another question. what's the difference between SQL and MySQL? I've
found SQL basic functions easy to work with. I suppose there are no big
differences between both lenguages, are there?

Thanks again.