[DB-SIG] table metadata available?

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:15:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I hope I'm not bothering too much!  I'm starting to work on some tools
that try to probe databases a bit dynamically.  Is there an API to pull
the table definitions?  In particular, it'd be nice to be able to discover
the primary keys of each table.  I can't see a way of doing this reliably
with just the DB 2.0 API, but perhaps I'm just missing something obvious.

I saw some discussion on this in January:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/db-sig/2002-January/002225.html

but I have to admit that I wasn't following the discussion too closely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!