[DB-SIG] Popy - Psycopg - PyPgSQL - PyGreSQL

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering@gmx.de
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:17:43 +0200

* Magnus Lycka <magnus@thinkware.se> [2002-10-01 16:08 +0200]:
> At 15:20 2002-10-01 +0200, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> >Easy one:
> >http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/DbApiModuleComparison?action=show
>
> Ok, that's a start...I was more wondering if
> it was done already...
>
> What do I see...
> psycopg ... GPL
>
> I suppose that means that applications that import
> that module will be GPL as well...

They need to have a GPL compatible license if you distribute them
outside your organisation. You can see a list of known such licenses on
the FSF pages.

> In general I really like GPL, unfortunately I sometimes rely on
> customers that want to own the code I build for them... This makes GPL
> an impossible choice in those situations.

Perhaps you can get a special deal with Federico ;-) (But I personally
am not sure that what works for something as large as Qt as a business
strategy will work for a Python database adapter as well.)

Thinking of which, one other thing we might add to the comparison table
is wether commercial support is available. As far as I remember, only
mxODBC and the Sybase module have, right?

-- Gerhard