[DB-SIG] Portable method of determining which column wasn't u nique?

Keating, Tim TKeating@origin.ea.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:08:53 -0500

A better way to deal with this might be to break up your tables along
functional lines. Right now it sounds like you are trying to store login
credentials and user information in the same table. A safer way to do this
might be (in pseudo-DDL):

Table LoginCredentials (
	int login_id PRIMARY KEY,
	char[] username UNIQUE,
	char[] password_hash
)

Table UserInfo (
	int user_id PRIMARY KEY,
	char[] name,
	char[] emailaddress
	.
	.
	.
)

Table LoginToUser (
	int login_id,
	int user_id
)

Now, you can add rows for both username=username AND username=email address
to the LoginCredentials table, use a much simpler query to log them in, and
then retrieve their personal info through the LoginCredentials ->
LoginToUser -> UserInfo join.

This isn't perfectly normalized, since email address is stored twice, but
since you are overloading the purpose of email address anyway, it may be a
better model for you. It also solves the original problem, since there is
only one unique column.

TK