[DB-SIG] Portable method of determining which column wasn't unique?

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:30:23 +0200

At 15:57 2002-10-10 -0400, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
>That has the same races as the possible solution I came up with that I
>described at the end of my original email.

I was about to say that there is no race
condition here in in SQL if you have high
enough isolation level, but then I realize
that you use MySQL...

I think you need to use a RDBMS that handles
transactions as SQL requires to be safe here,
i.e. almost anything but MySQL, or even MySQL
if you use transaction aware tables. (I'm not
enough of an expert on MySQL to be sure that
they really handle ACID properly...)

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5