[DB-SIG] Database Independent SQL

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 07:18:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Gerhard H=E4ring wrote:
> > I know the DB API 2 handles the connection, querying etc. in an
> > independent manner but what I am also looking for is some sort of
> > library which provided a standard SQL syntax as well.
>=20
> IIRC http://theopalgroup.com/ has such a tool. For internal use,
> probably. One of them is also subscribed to this list and will likely
> speak up soon :-)

That would be me -- we have a DB-API abstraction layer that does quite a =
few
nice things.  Most interestingly, it can perform source-to-source
translations of queries from one dialect of SQL into another (i.e., MySQL=
 ->
PostgreSQL <-> Oracle <-> MS SQL 2000).  Unfortunately, it is not yet ope=
source since parts some components were developed under a fairly restrict=
ive
license for some of out clients.  We are in the process of dis-entangling=
 as
much of it as we can for eventual release to the general Python community.

In the mean time, I would suggest that you use PostgreSQL, Firebird, or
SAP/DB.  All are free and provide a fairly reasonable subset of ANSI SQL
92/99.

Good luck,
-Kevin Jacobs

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect