[DB-SIG] information needed

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering@opus-gmbh.net
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:36:26 +0200

* Srinivas Rao Kollipara <srinivas.rao.kollipara@ai.ag> [2002-09-20 10:26 +0200]:
> Does anyone know any tools which will convert the python code to the oracle
> plsql code.

I'd be very surprised if there were any, and I believe the chances of any such
thing ever appearing are close to zero. Btw. I'm writing a relatively complex
algorithm in Python right now, for which the ideal place to be executed would
be a stored procedure, but PL/SQL isn't quite up to the job as far as I can
see.  While it were possible to write this algorithm in PL/SQL, it would be a
major PITA, as PL/SQL seems to lack many of the interesting data structures
like dictionaries and lists, which would be clumsy to emulate via cursors,
temporary tables and arrays. But then, I hardly know PL/SQL.

OTOH if you use PostgreSQL, you can write your stored procedures in Python :-)
--
Gerhard Häring
OPUS GmbH München