[DB-SIG] return value of fetchone (DBAPI 2.0)

Anthony Tuininga anthony at computronix.com
Tue Aug 5 18:54:30 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 09:26, Stefan Fleiter wrote:
> One thing that comes to my mind now is, that with Oracle and the
> "returning clause" almost every statement, including updates can produce
> a result.
>
> Con someone please clarify on this?

The returning clause in Oracle does not actually specify a result set.
You cannot "fetch" it. Rather, it is specifying an "array" which means
that you need to use PL/SQL to make it work and you have to bind it, you
don't "define" it (Oracle parlance for defining a variable into which
data will be fetched).

Hope that helps.

> Thanks in advance,
> Stefan Fleiter