[DB-SIG] Towards a single parameter style

Dittmar, Daniel daniel.dittmar@sap.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:52:03 +0100

> I'd always just thought that cursor.execute would be responsible for
> translating from the One True Paramstyle to paramstyle as required by
> vendor (ala JDBC and PerlDBI). I think all that needs to happen is
> 'replace %(foo)s with ?, except in a string'. But I've never gotten
> around to actually doing this so I've probably missed something :-)

True. But if a driver was first written for Some Fringe Paramstyle, then switching to One True Paramstyle will break all existing programs. (Those that are actually using execute () with parameters.) My proposal aimed at making that transition smoother.

Daniel Dittmar

--
Daniel Dittmar
SAP DB, SAP Labs Berlin