[DB-SIG] Towards a single parameter style

Dittmar, Daniel daniel.dittmar@sap.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:51:25 +0100

> > Unfortunately, DB-API already overloads
> > the concept of a cursor object to the point that it doesn't
> match well with
> > the SQL concept of a cursor.  It also means that a cursor
> is needed for every
> > prepared query.  This also seems out of line with what we
> are trying to
> > model.
>
> I'm not sure I understand: you do need a cursor to prepare the
> command on, since the cursor will have to hold all the information
> gathered by preparing the command.

It is probably true for ODBC that the concepts of prepared statement and cursor are folded into one. Other database libraries could implement them as separate objects, some are probably missing the concept of prepared statement altogether.

Daniel

--
Daniel Dittmar
SAP DB, SAP Labs Berlin