[DB-SIG] spec: named parameters: clarification needed

Anthony Tuininga anthony@computronix.com
18 Feb 2003 07:51:54 -0700

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 06:44, Marcos S=E1nchez Provencio wrote:
> I was thinking more about vampirising (?) mx.ODBC extensions API and
> using them as an API specification. Even M.-A. has proposed that some
> time, I think.
>=20
> I am not sure we need yet-another-layer. The minimal to get whatever the
> RDBMS gives us to Python DBAPI is enough for me. That is, after we
> clarify parameter passing and schema funtions ;-)

But therein lies the problem. Every database vendor does this slightly
differently. There is going to __have__ to be a layer in between the
database and the Python DB API standard -- either it will be written
once (a common layer) or many times (a layer written by each driver
developer excepting those who write for database vendors that mimic the
standard). Personally, I would prefer once.... :-)

--=20
Anthony Tuininga
anthony@computronix.com
=20