[DB-SIG] Gadfly into Python core - comments?

Stuart Bishop zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:07:16 +1100

Do people have any commments on incorporating Gadfly into the standard
Python distribution?

I feel that it would be a benefit for the following reasons:
	- Provides a reason for the DB API docs to be merged into the Python
	  library reference
	- Gives Python relational DB stuff out of the box ala Java, but with
        a working RDBMS as well ala nothing else I'm aware of.
	- Makes including GadflyDA in Zope 3 a trivial decision, since its
        size would be negligable and the DA code itself is already ZPL.

Downside would be supporting it. I don't believe Richard Jones could
commit time to fixing any issues that turn up from its greater exposure
(or indeed the existing issues - see the bugtracker at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=100662&group_id=662 ).

Is anyone aware of bugs that would make it a mistake to rollout the
existing version as part of Python 2.3, Python 2.4 or Zope 3? Looking
at the existing bug tracker, it would be possible to use the existing
version as is by saying 'does not support unique indexes or the group
by clause' (and removing them from the grammar as a quick ugly hack).
And I think the Unique index bug would be a quick one to fix.

Would this be a mistake?

Would it be a mistake to include it, but to document it as being
anything
other than a toy for learning and experimentation?

Are there patches out there that never arrived in the Sourceforge bug
tracker?

Beyond Gadfly, are there other drivers that are in a state to be shipped
with Python. I guess criteria would be:
	- Compatible licence
	- Stable enough to track with the Python release cycle
	- Works on both Windows & Unix a bonus.
	- Wouldn't require reinstalling Python to link in with
	  a newly installed RDBMS client libraries (or is this fine?)
One that I can think of may be zxJDBC for the Jython distribution.

Other thoughts?

I'm asking here as a prelude to discussing this on c.l.p, as I was silly
enough to open my big mouth on Zope3-dev and appear to have volunteered
for something :-)

--
Stuart Bishop <zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>
http://shangri-la.dropbear.id.au/