[DB-SIG] RDBMS

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:16:32 +0100

zohar wrote:
> Respected Sir,
>
> I am(ZOHAR BATTERYWALA) a student in BCA in IGNOU in VADODARA, GUJARAT,
> INDIA.
>
> I am designing a SCM(Supply chain management) application and it consists of
> more than 160 tables.
>
> For this I have chosen MySQL instead of ORACLE for the following reasons:
> (1) Basic version is free and even registration fees for commercial version
> is not too much.
> (2) Is ranked to be equal in performance(4.0 version) to oracle.
> (3) Has a userbase that is connected by mailing list so you cannot expect
> support as of Oracle but you can get a solution.
> (4) Mostly anticipating the high fee of Oracle, the industries to whom I
> want to sell might not take it.
>
> According to you, if I am wrong, where am I wrong?? Please give your
> valuable suggestions.

I'd suggest you take a look at PostreSQL and SAP DB instead. They
both offer more features and have proven to be robust.

> I am looking for a utility that makes the task of making ERD and flow chart
> design somewhat faster than the manual attempt. Can you suggest me
> something.
>
> Also please show me where I could find a Python-DB tutorial

The best tutorials can probably be found in recent Python books.
See python.org for details. You also want to check the Python Database
Topic Guide on python.org.

> Also where I could get MySQL DB-API Driver/tutorial/or any related
> thing/and IDE or RAD tool, (even for designing), most suited for making
> database application in python as by conventional way if I go making
> 160+ forms, 250+ reports and  graphs would take about 4-5 months.

You should try one of the many Python IDEs.

CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH