[DB-SIG] Running a Python script against an embedded mySQL server.

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Jul 2 21:33:47 EDT 2003

quadric at primenet.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application that has an embedded/extended Python interpreter.  I need
> to add
> database capabilities and for reasons to lengthy to explain in this email, also
> require
> an embedded database server.  I have tentatively chosen mySQL 4.0 due to the
> apparent
> ease of embedding, along with it having all the necessary database functionality
> I need.

If you need an embedded database engine, you should have a look
at the more powerful sqlite.sf.net.

Embedding MySQL would cause your application to go under GPL control.
sqlite comes with a BSD style license. It is also faster, offers more
features and is very robust.

You could use the sqlite ODBC driver together with the mxODBC Zope DA
to connect to that database backend.

eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 02 2003)