[DB-SIG] mySQL vs Matisse vs PostgreSQL ???

quadric at primenet.com quadric at primenet.com
Wed Jul 2 12:35:38 EDT 2003

Hi ,
I have an application that embeds both Python and mySQL.  I chose mySQL for
a variety of
reasons not least of which were reputation ( good as far as I can tell )
and cost.

However, I have not gotten so far down the path that a database change
would be impractical.

I need to use the database both from within the app (written in C++) and
from within Python
scripts that the app runs.  I would like to avoid a bunch of Python object
to table mapping
code if possible and found that Matisse ( www.matisse.com ) appears to have
achieved that
goal quite handily.  It has both a C++ and Python API.

Although I have experience in C++/Python/RDBMS's, I'm new to mySQL and know
nothing
about Matisse other than what can be downloaded in their 30-day trial
Developer Kit.

The licensing can be quite expensive (depending on number of final users)
and I didn't ask about source
but I don't think it is available for the DB engine or Python extension.

Does anybody have any info about or experience with Matisse?

Any comparisons between Matisse / mySQL / PostgreSQL  that would be helpful?

The thought of true Python object persistence with accessibility from C++
without
a bunch of intermediate object=>table mapping is quite appealing.

I've read a little on the gadfly module but it doesn't appear that direct
access from C++ code is an
option.  Correct?

BTW: The app is developed under and runs on Windows.  [ No flame please :-) ]

Thanks for your input.