[DB-SIG] Result Set Inconsistencies

Chris Cogdon chris at cogdon.org
Wed Jul 16 17:16:05 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003, at 16:01 US/Pacific,
<kevin_cazabon at hotmail.com> wrote:

> As a lurker here, I whole-heartedly agree that the spec should not be
> ambiguous here.  While its not a lot of work to add a list() wrapper to
> calls, it's another potential for bugs, difficulties, and confusion.
> It
> also adds overhead to the transaction.

I think you've just hit on a key issue with regards to performance. If
the interface writer had to return a particular format, that in itself
may add overhead to the transaction.

It may be better to say that the interface writer can choose the format
gives the best performance because, in most cases[1], the application
writer doesn't CARE if lists or tuples or MagicDoohickeySets are being
returned.

[1] - As evidenced by this issue not cropping up until now.

--
    ("`-/")_.-'"``-._        Chris Cogdon <chris at cogdon.org>