[DB-SIG] Python/PostgreSQL API performance comparison

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at penguin.theopalgroup.com
Tue Jun 3 09:45:16 EDT 2003

Due to the recent interest in PostgreSQL DB-API driver comparisons, I though
I'd jump on the proverbial bandwagon.  As some of you already know, my
company has developed very substantial financial applications using Python,
and frequently PostgreSQL.

We've been using the PsycoPg driver for the past two years, because we found
it to be the most solid and least flawed of all the available drivers at the
time.  I've updated our driver suite to include a recent version PoPy, and
run one of our very substantial test suites.  The suite constitutes a mix
the following tasks:

  1) Many simple OLTP queries.
  2) Many simple and complex OLAP queries, some returning as many as a
     hundred thousand rows of data.
  3) Data-cube construction and manipulation
  4) Business report generation

The application server and database run on the same (otherwise quiescent)
test server, the working data set is all in-core (though quite large), and
only serial requests (i.e., only a single active worker thread) are issued.

Results running Python CVS on the same application server with only the
driver setting changed:

Driver / version  Wall Time (average of 4 runs, though little variation was
----------------  ---------  observed)
PsycoPg  1.0.13     10m41s
PoPy     2.0.8      11m33s

I'll run the suite with more drivers over the next week, as time permits.

Regards,
-Kevin

[*] Unfortunately, other than for this simple test suite, PoPy is basically
    unusable for us.  This is because it does not return proper PostgreSQL
    type codes, only vague type strings ('NUMBER','DATETIME','MISSING'?!).
    Thus, it does not provide enough information to distinguish, e.g.,
    booleans from numbers, numeric from floating-point values, dates from
    datetimes, etc.  As previously reported, it does not translate large
    integers correctly, and it mangles some date interval types.  These
    deficiencies may not affect simpler or less-demanding applications, but
    to us they qualify as unacceptable information loss.

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (216) 986-0710 x 19         E-mail: jacobs at theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (216) 986-0714              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com