[DB-SIG] API suggestion: expose 'quote' method

David Warnock david at sundayta.com
Wed Jun 4 00:17:05 EDT 2003

Magnus,

> I don't see a need for this quote function for building SQL
> statements, and I don't see how it could work cross platform
> as presented, but I think it could be a good way to see what
> is happening under the hood. I would like to have that for
> pure debugging and logging purposes.

In java there is a JDBC Driver called p6spy which installs as a standard
jdbc driver in your application between it and the real jdbc driver. It
then logs every call to the jdbc driver. For example it shows prepared
statements before and after binding.

This is very useful for debugging sql (eg to make sure that proxies are
working).

However, my limited understanding of the dbi-api is that it is not yet
complete enough as a layer for this to be possible. So far as I can see
it is not yet so easy to write cross dbms code in python as it is in
java. I would like to be proved wrong.

Dave
--
David Warnock, Sundayta Ltd. http://www.sundayta.com
iDocSys for Document Management. VisibleResults for Fundraising.