[DB-SIG] MSSQL "proxy" access

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Jun 4 10:56:46 EDT 2003

Philippe ENTZMANN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm prototyping an application with Python and MSSQL. I use odbc module
> for data access.
>
> I would like to be able to run my app both on Windows and Linux.
>
> Is there a way to access directly an MSSQL database from a python
> program running on Linux ?
>
> Is it a good idea to use some XMLRPC stuff to "proxy" the data requests
> from the clients (Linux and Windows) to the MSSQL server thru a python
> server (Windows) ?
>
> Is there already a module for doing such things ? (db proxiing via XMLRPC)

mxODBC via FreeTDS should work. They both run on Unix.

As for proxying, eGenix has a project in the queue which will make
this kind of thing easy to setup and with good performance for ODBC
drivers in general (not using XMLRPC, BTW, since that introduces too
much overhead).

eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 04 2003)