[DB-SIG] MSSQL "proxy" access

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Jun 4 13:31:10 EDT 2003

Kevin Jacobs wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>As for proxying, eGenix has a project in the queue which will make
>>this kind of thing easy to setup and with good performance for ODBC
>>drivers in general (not using XMLRPC, BTW, since that introduces too
>>much overhead).
>
> You're working on an ODBC-ODBC bridge?

Well, sort of. It's actually an mxODBC-mxODBC bridge making use of
the higher level interface we have in mxODBC (more available information
means less network traffic :-).

Ideally it should then be possible to separate the ODBC driver
installation from the application using the mxODBC interface,e.g.
you can have the mxODBC application running on Linux, talking to the
Excel ODBC driver on a Windows box, or the MS SQL ODBC driver on
the MS SQL Server machine. That should get rid off the problems
you sometimes have in finding suitable ODBC drivers for the
platform running the application.

eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 04 2003)