[DB-SIG] Re: pervasive SQL

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering@opus-gmbh.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:09:07 +0000 (UTC)

jwsacksteder@ramprecision.com <jwsacksteder@ramprecision.com> wrote:
> I would very much like to see a native DBI interface to the PervasiveSQL
> RDBMS.

It looks like you can now use Pervasive SQL via ODBC or Jython/JDBC. I
don't see a C, C++ or Ada interface on their homepage, however. Only JDBC
and ADO/OLEDB. Without seening a C/C++ (or Ada, or Fortran ;-) interface,
the complexity of this task cannot be evaluated.

> Assuming full access to needed technical specs, how much work would be
> involved in in doing something like this? Days? Weeks? Months?

You can expect basic functionality within days, but a fully compliant and
stable DB-API interface takes months to build. With being able to commit to
this task full-time, you might achieve this goal faster.

> I don't suppose someone who thinks that sort of thing is fun would be
> willing to work on this?

If someone paid me to do it [1], it might be fun enough ;-)

-- Gerhard

[1] Iff it is possible, for C/C++, I only see a BTrieve API, no SQL API.
But then, it's only 5 minutes since I first heard about this product ...