[DB-SIG] odbc vs mxodbc

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Thu May 8 09:58:19 EDT 2003

ali wrote:
> i've been using activepython for months now and i was quite pleased when i
> learned that an odbc api is already bundled with it...
>
> my question is:
>
> another odbc api is available, mxodbc, it is commercial and it sounds better
> (advertising wise-- no offense meant :) than odbc... how does odbc fare with
> mxodbc??? btw, i haven't tried mxodbc yet so i dont have any way of
> comparing???

Why not simply give it a try and see for yourself ?

mxODBC is DB-API 2.0, ODBC 2.x,3.x compatible, odbc still is DB-API 1.0,
ODBC 1.x and doesn't give you access to all the goodies ODBC has to
offer. Furthermore, odbc is unmaintained, not proven to work with
todays ODBC drivers and you can't get support for it.

Of course, that's my totally unbiased opinion ;-)

eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, May 08 2003)