[DB-SIG] Examples on how to use mxODBC?

jgoldtest joe at bar-s.com
Wed Oct 22 01:35:36 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I've got to appologize for posting what must be a stupid question but so far, I've been unable to figure it out for myself.  I'm trying to learn web development using python.  I've tried out Zope, Twisted, and finally Cherrypy. I work at a Microsoft  shop but I'm trying go get them away from .Net and into open source.  I figure if I can learn it, I can make it easy for everyone else by teaching it.  I may have taken on too much.  The learning curve is steep!

I've taken a break from the Web stuff for a bit to try and figure out how to access my database.  Ideally, I'd just like a few lines to show what you need to import, what objects and methods need to be executed to connect to a database and execute a select statement.  I guess I'd also be nice if it could read through the returned records.  I'm sure this is a really simple thing to do but I can't find any working examples.  I can find examples for accessing MySQL but I don't know how to convert them to  mx ODBC.  I've tried a number of things but nothing seems to work.

I've found old examples that use the ODBC 1.0 spec and start with lines like "from calldll import odbc" but I can't find this "calldll" package.  It's all very confusing.  I downloaded and installed the mx ODBC.  I guess the documentation is good if you already know what you're doing but it's been pretty useless to me.  There are NO example programs that I can find that demonstrate step-by-step how you use it.

Anyway,  a few pointers would be helpful.  I'll try not to be a pest.

Joe Goldthwaite
Phoenix, AZ

Property of Bar-S Foods. This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately at 602.264.7272 or postmaster at bar-s.com.