[DB-SIG] ImportError: cx_Oracle and the missing DLL

Anthony Tuininga anthony at computronix.com
Thu Oct 30 15:08:46 EST 2003

The reason you are getting that error is that the version of cx_Oracle
that is current only supports Oracle 8.1.x and above. Oracle has long
since dropped support for Oracle 8.0.x and so I dropped support for it
as well. If you absolutely must continue using 8.0.x with all of its
bugs (8.1.7 and 9.2.0 are much more stable) then I can provide you with
the source for the last version that supported 8.0.x or I can tell you
which source needs to be changed to support 8.0.x. Let me know. Thanks.

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 12:52, Sean Steeg wrote:
> After putting Google and its search brethern to task for the past few hours,
> I've decided to come seeking assistance here.
>
> I'm attempting to use cx_Oracle for 8i, via the Windows Installer for Python
> 2.3 found on their website for the task (installing onto Windows NT). The
> install went smoothly enough (the file ended up in
> C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\cx_Oracle.pyd), and I thought I'd be all set.
> Instead I get the error below, which indicates a failure to find a DLL file,
> but not which one.
>
> Locally, I'm running 8.0.5.0.0 for all my connection/SQLPlus/EasyConfig/etc
> needs, and 'm trying to connect to an 8.1.6.2.0 8i server, but I doubt the
> last piece matters, since it's failing on the import.
>
> I'm fairly comfortable with python, but not at all with C, DLLs, and the
> like, so this error is outside of my zone.  Might anyone here have some
> suggestions for tracking down the problem, or better yet, solving it
> outright?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean
>
> ------the error--------
> PythonWin 2.3.2 (#49, Oct  2 2003, 20:02:00) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
> win32.
> Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond (mhammond at skippinet.com.au) - see
> 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

Anthony Tuininga
anthony at computronix.com

Computronix
Distinctive Software. Real People.