[DB-SIG] Re: column names and uniqueness

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at penguin.theopalgroup.com
Thu Sep 25 10:27:33 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Magnus Lycka wrote:
> From: "Dittmar, Daniel" <daniel.dittmar at sap.com>
> > - there are those nitpickers who say that column names aren't
> > necessarily unique and that the uppercase/lowercase issues make it worse
>
> Heh, that's funny. Never thought of that, but it is
> certainly true for DB2. I just tried
>
> Select CURRENT DATE AS A, 45 AS A from SYSIBM.SYSDUMMY1
>
> I got
>
> A         |A
> ----------+--
> 2003-09-25|45
>
> How odd! I had assumed that this would be an error. On the
> other hand, I don't really see why anyone would like to do
> that, and I could accept that a tuple -> dict tool would
> fail silently on something like this. I haven't tried this
> with db_row etc...

db_row has a strict uniqueness check, so it will not allow this.  It will
also catch this with "A" and "a" in case-insenstivie db_rows.  It hasn't
caused anyone problems to date, though I'm still considering adding a
feature to optionally assign unique suffixes to make such names unique.

-Kevin

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (440) 871-6725 x 19         E-mail: jacobs at theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (440) 871-6722              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com/