[DB-SIG] cx_Oracle Oracle 10g on Linux

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Wed Apr 28 12:26:02 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I've just installed Oracle 10g on my Debian box and am now trying to
talk to it from Python.

I've downloaded and installed cx_Oracle 4.0.1 but when I try and import
the module I get an error;

"""
Python 2.3.3 (#2, Feb 24 2004, 09:29:20)
[GCC 3.3.3 (Debian)] on linux2
 >>> import cx_Oracle
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: libclntsh.so.10.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

"""

For the record, Oracle 10g does have a libclntsh.so (in $ORACLE_HOME/lib)

I note that Anthony says that the code works on Linux
(http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/db-sig/2011613) so I'm
presuming I am missing some configuration. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,
Andy