[DB-SIG] db module wrapper

Andy Dustman farcepest at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 07:30:33 CEST 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:43:17 -0500, Randall Smith <randall at tnr.cc> wrote:

> The only oddity is non-standard escapes like Postgresql's '\'.  '\' is
> not a problem to handle, I just have to know when to treat it as an
> escape character and when not to.  Do you know of any other databases
> that use '\' as an escape character or any other non-standard escape
> characters in use?

Non-standard escapes and features aren't a problem; the problem is
that people write code that use those non-standard features.

Here's a fun fact: MySQLdb-1..x uses %s for the value placeholder.
MySQLdb-2.x will use ?, but only because the implementation (and API)
is changing; 4.1 and newer have a real parameter binding system which
uses ?. Only problem is, it also supports the old API, and I suspect
you have to use the old API if you are talking to an <4.1 server, even
if you have a >=4.1 client, because the protocol is different too.

--
Computer interfaces should never be made of meat.