[DB-SIG] db module wrapper

Marc Colosimo mcolosimo at mitre.org
Fri Aug 20 19:01:14 CEST 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Andy Todd wrote:

> Marc Colosimo wrote:
>> On Aug 19, 2004, at 11:57 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>> Marc Colosimo wrote:
>>>
> [snip]
>>> After all binding
>>> parameters exist to make all this quoting unnecessary and
>>> indeed, many drivers pass the SQL string and the parameters
>>> well separated to the database.
>> not pgdb (_quoteparams) or cx_oracle (Cursor_SetBindVariables). I
>> couldn't check psycopg because the links from freshmeat are dead.
>
> Call me Mr Picky, but that is not true for cx_Oracle. It uses a
> feature of Oracle called bind variables. For an explanation see;
>
> http://www.rittman.net/archives/000832.html
>
> The function Cursor_SetBindVariables in Cursor.c of cx_Oracle simply
> unpacks the values passed to the execute statement. Quoting and other
> esoteric conversion requirements and performed by the Oracle software.

Okay, I was wrong about BindVariables, which does something completely
different than quoting ( I don't fully understand how cx_Oracle does it
and at this time I really don't care or have time to look into). The
way cx_Oracle handles things would throw a wrench into what I want (my
original request, which also has been smashed around), but wasn't fully
explained why (I didn't fully know how some modules work). However call
me Picky Jr,  I'm still standing my ground on pgdb (PyGreSQL), which is
what I based my original message on and use, and stand corrected on the
other. Therefore, the generalization, like so many, doesn't cover all
bases (especially in the world of SQL and databases). Finally,  I like
some of the previous ideas and would like to see something like what
Chris talked about, but I wont hold my breath.

Marc