[DB-SIG] PyFormat and execute

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Wed Feb 11 11:41:31 EST 2004

Marc Colosimo wrote:

[snip]

>> Do not try to do the interpolation yourself: let the database handler do
>> it.
>>
> Hi Danny,
>
> Wow! Why isn't there a DB FAQ with this in it? I was just using the
> PyFormat and really didn't understand that the DB-API can handle the
> interpolation for me. I now understand what the [5] next to the
> description for execute was describing.
>
> Does this also escape naughty SQL characters like ' and \ in strings?
>
> And how can one use the type objects to send NUMBERS, DATETIME objects?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

Yes, and yes to your last two questions. It is in the DB-API
specification, its just not incredibly obvious to the newcomer.

To that end I created a page on the Python Wiki and made this FAQ number 1;

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/DbApiFaq

If anyone wants to improve my wording feel free.

Regards,
Andy