[DB-SIG] WHat's the status of DB modules and datetime.py supp ort?

Federico Di Gregorio fog at initd.org
Fri Jan 2 09:37:35 EST 2004

Il ven, 2004-01-02 alle 15:29, Kevin Jacobs ha scritto:
[snip]
>   1) need to take data from one DB-API driver to another driver or backend
>      database.

as already said by a few people on this list the DBAPI is not a
cross-database-backend tool. it is there to provide a common API, not to
guarantee database independence.

>   2) have inherently ambiguous DB->Python type mappings

the whole DBAPI is _based_ on ambiguous mappings. i agree with marc on
that: it does not make sense to force a unique set of type mapping
because it would be too a burden on the module developers.

what we need is, imho, a way to tell that a STRING from a database can
be safetly mapped to a STRING on another backend. and so on. mm.. this
seems "protocols"[1] stuff to me.

>   3) like the fact that DB-API adapters return builtin Python types in most
>      cases (if only for efficiency reasons since they have their own type
>      or OR mapping systems built upon DB-API).

i don't understand what you mean here (not a native english speaker,
sorry, i know this is my fault.)

federico

[1] like in PyProtocols, google for it.

--
Federico Di Gregorio                         http://people.initd.org/fog
Debian GNU/Linux Developer                                fog at debian.org
INIT.D Developer                                           fog at initd.org
  Nessuno dice che non si possa sognare in dettaglio, essere realistici
   e magari realizzarlo pure, il sogno.                        -- <dani>