[DB-SIG] Re: DB-API wrapper with db_rows

Jon Franz jfranz at neurokode.com
Sat Jan 3 01:27:54 EST 2004

>From reading this list, I discovered Kevin Jacob's db_row which I took
<<SNIP>>
>Does anyone know if I have duplicated someone elses effort (Not that
>there is much effort on my part)?  I haven't yet posted my code, but if
>you would like a copy, just email me.

Well, it overlaps with PDO, including the version we're just now
testing (which has input functionality - though in PDO land its an
'EditableResultSet' and allows for editing of existing records).

But that's in testing, and isn't released yet :)

* shift into thinking-out-loud mode *
As a side question - PDO currently uses
results['foo'].value | results.fields['foo'].value
style syntax - we could (very) easily add
results.fields.foo.value
 - but _should_ we do it?  It would take the number of ways to
access  a column to 3, which seems somewhat redundant, but it
does save 4 characters per column access.  Of course, a column
name may be unusable for this access method without mangling -
I'm thinking of access and spaces within a column name.
Hrm.
Thoughts?
* end off-topic brainstorming junk *

Take a look at PDO - you're welcome to join the project if this sort
of thing interests you.  If you don't like it, you can always just keep
working on your own.  No harm, no foul either way.

http://pdo.neurokode.com - also - http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythondbo/

~Jon Franz
NeuroKode Labs, LLC