[DB-SIG] threads sharing connection with cx_Oracle

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Sat Jan 24 14:05:54 EST 2004

Are there any known issues with threads sharing a connection with cx_Oracle?

Environment:  cx_Oracle for Oracle 8i and Python2.3, Oracle 8.1.5

The top level program creates a connection.  It then creates threads and
passes that connection in to each thread as an argument so that all
threads are sharing the connection.  Each thread creates a cursor as
needed and issues only SELECT statements.  After about 10 threads have
been created the next thread throws an Oracle Exception with a message
something like 'End of string line ...'.  Sorry about the vagueness on
the error messgae, I'm at home and don't have access to it now.

I set up the same environment using psycopg/Postgresql and didn't have
any problem.  So I think it is specific to Oracle or cx_Oracle.

I can get the exact error message on Tuesday, but I'm sending this
message now in hopes that someone is already familiar with this problem.

Randall Smith