[DB-SIG] MySQL lost connections

Lloyd Kvam pythontutor at venix.com
Fri Mar 5 10:10:52 EST 2004

I have been getting python program failures involving lost connections to a
MySQL database.  The server is a Redhat (9) Linux box.  The clients are running
Win2K.  To research the issue, I've been running tcpdump on the server to trace
the packet flow.  The following text describes what I found from tcpdump.  My
guess is that this is really some kind of Windows problem, but I have not had
any success getting information on that front.  I'd appreciate any thoughts or
suggestions.  Thanks.

At 11:54:01 we have the PC acknowledging successful receipt of the previous packet from
the database.  I assume the PC operator heads off to lunch at this point, leaving
the program running.

Then at 12:59:02 the PC tries to open a new connection from port 3648 rather than 1497,
the port it had been using.  The database accepts the new connection.

At 12:59:03 the PC resets (closes) the new connection.  I believe that this is when the
program realized it had lost its working connection and aborted.

At 12:59:09 a new connection from port 3650 is establised.  I believe this is from the
program being restarted.  3650 was still working when I wrote this email.

So, what's going on???

My guess is that Windows is terminating the idle connection even though the program is
still running!!!  When the program tries to use the connection that it had never closed,
Windows attempts to open a new connection.  However, that never connection never established
the login with the database, so it doesn't work.  The program now aborts because it has
lost its working database connection.  Once the program is restarted, we are back to normal.

I will try to research whether this idea can possibly be correct.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp.

voice:	603-653-8139