[DB-SIG] Python vs JAVA with MySQL database

Bob Kimble rkimble at iceweb.com
Wed May 5 13:41:38 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 01:03 pm, Rivier Leonard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use Python with a MySQL database. I know it is possible
> and tested the API
> a bit. However when I ask around me in my lab, everybody suggests JAVA
> to work with MySQL.
>
> I am a bit unconfortable pushing Python which I just started learning.
> Is there a specific document
> comparing JAVA and  Python in their use toward a MySQL database ?

I don't know of any specific documents, but writing Java to work with a SQL
database is generally much more code intensive than writing equivalent stuff
in Python. Additionally, because of the edit/compile/run cycle inherent in a
Java program, it takes a lot longer to prototype something in Java. It also
generally takes longer to run a Java version because of the startup time of
the JVM -- unless you're working with a LOT of data, in which case the Java
version may be faster. I do a lot of database work with both languages. I use
Python scripts to generate the bean classes we use to connect to the database
using Java. Personally, I suggest using both languages: Java where you need
the speed of compiled code, and Python where you need the speed of
implementation, or where you're prototyping. I find the two languages work
very nicely together.