[DB-SIG] pure python database driver

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Thu May 20 09:49:59 EDT 2004

The same reason the Java type 4 jdbc drivers exist.  What I mean by
portability is that it will work on nearly any machine without
dependency issues.  Just drop the driver into your app.  I've been
wanting this ever since I started working with Oracle.  I hate having to
install the Oracle client libraries just to talk to the database.
Installing Oracle on GNU/Linux has given me heartache many times.  I
don't know if one could write a Python only driver for Oracle because of
proprietary issues.  Does Oracle release specs for their protocol?

Although I don't like programming in Java, one thing I do admire is that
applications are often Pure-Java and I try to make my Python
applications as Pure-Python as possible.  I think one should only write
in C when performance is poor.

You have confirmed what I believed to be true; The reason these JDBC
type 4 like drivers do not exist is that nobody sees enough benefit to
justify the work.

Randall