[DB-SIG] Linux, ODBC and MSSQL

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Fri Nov 19 20:02:29 CET 2004

I've been tossed into a data conversion where it would be *extremely*
convenient to connect to a MSSQL server running on Windows 2000 from my
Linux workstation.

I've researched to software available and I have freetds and the Sybase
module based on it installed as well as mxODBC to try to use with ADODB,
but I'm having trouble understanding how to address the database.

I found a couple of references to using the NT name of the box as the
host, but do I have so have some sort of WINS resolution enabled for that
to work?

If anyone can give some insight, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,
e.